A fire started Saturday, Sept. 22, 2012, at a house at 5225 Reeder Circle when the deep fryer on the enclosed back porch was knocked over. ( Courtesy of Clark County )
By Brian Nordli, Las Vegas Sun and U.S. News Agency / Asian
A spilled deep fryer caused a fire that killed two dogs and burned three adults and two children Saturday at a home near Hacienda Avenue and Maryland Parkway, Clark County spokesman Dan Kulin said.
Kulin said that more than a dozen friends and family members were at the single-story home at 5225 Reeder Circle when the deep fryer on the enclosed back porch was knocked over. The oil then caught fire because of a nearby open flame.
The fire spread into the home and attic.
Clark County Fire Department arrived about 11:10 a.m. and needed 17 minutes to knock down the flames, Kulin said. The victims were taken to University Medical Center with burns.
The two children were in critical condition, one adult was in serious condition and one adult had less-serious burns. Kulin didn’t know the extent of the third adult’s injuries.
The fire caused $40,000 in damage and displaced the family from the home, Kulin said.