By Abdul Haleem, Chen Xin, PNA / Xinhua and U.S. News Agency / Asian
The so-called green-on-blue attacks or shooting at NATO-led soldiers by men in military uniform have claimed the lives of eight service members in Taliban hotbed the southern Helmand province over the past three days, inspector general police of Helmand province said Saturday.
“The so-called green-on-blue attacks have left eight foreign soldiers dead over the past three days in Helmand province,” Abdul Nabi Ilham confirmed in a press conference.
He also said in the latest such incidents, he received report of three foreign soldiers killed by a man in police uniform in Garmsir district Friday night and had sent a delegation to Garmsir district for investigation.
However, the police official has described the green-on-blue attack as a new tactic of Taliban by using their protege to create distrust and hatred between Afghan and international coalition forces.
The Helmand police chief nevertheless stated that efforts are underway to strictly check any such incident in the future.
Earlier, an official in Helmand’s provincial capital Lashkar Gah on the condition of anonymity said that three foreign soldiers were shot dead in Garmsir district of Helmand province on Friday.
“A sixth grade student who also worked for police opened fire on foreign soldiers in police department of Germsir district on Friday evening killing three American soldiers,” the official told Xinhua but declined to give his name.
Meantime, another official said four soldiers were killed in the incident.
This is the second attack of its nature in Taliban former stronghold the Helmand province.
In the previous incident which also happened on Friday, a police commander invited U.S. soldiers in Sangin district to attend a party gathering. After having a meal, he opened fire, killing three on the spot and injuring another.
Meantime, the district governor of Sangin confirmed the deadly incident committed by a police commander Assadullah.
“Assadullah the commander of a police station in Sangin district invited some soldiers of the international troops for a party in Bostanzoi village last night and after having meal he opened fire killing three soldiers and injuring another,” Mohammad Sharif the governor of Sangin district told Xinhua.
“The attacker after committing the crime escaped the scene and rejoined Taliban militants,” he added.
Assadullah, according to locals had served the police for the past seven years.
Meantime, Qari Yusuf Ahmadi who claims to speak for the Taliban outfit in talks with media via telephone from unknown location said that Assadullah was a member of Taliban and after killing the foreign soldiers, he rejoined the outfit.
Spokesman for Helmand’s provincial administration, Daud Ahmadi also confirmed the incident, saying the murderer of NATO soldiers escaped and rejoined the Taliban militants.
Ahmadi also added that the victims belonged to the U.S. Special Force stationed in Sangin district.
Meantime, the NATO-led ISAF in a statement released here on Saturday confirmed losing three service members of the alliance in attack in southern part of the militancy-plagued Afghanistan on Friday.
“Three International Security Assistance Force service members died following an attack in southern Afghanistan yesterday (Friday) ,” the statement confirmed without identifying the victims nationality.
A statement released by U.S. force on August 10 also confirmed that three U.S. Forces-Afghanistan service members died following an attack by an individual wearing an Afghan uniform in southwest Afghanistan Friday.
Meantime, Qari Yusuf Ahmadi who claims to speak for the Taliban outfit in talks with media via telephone from unknown location stressed that seven foreign soldiers had been killed and four others injured by their loyalists in Helmand over the past two days.