By PNA and U.S. News Agency / Asian
Malacañang made an assurance on Saturday that foreign nationals, particularly Americans, shall remain safe in Metro Manila despite a statement released by the US embassy calling its citizens to exercise extreme caution while in the metropolis.
The US Embassy in Manila advises its citizens that a threat against American citizens in metropolitan Manila, specifically the Pasay City neighborhood, has been detected by reliable security forces. The US Embassy said in its statement that the threat remains in effect until Oct. 10, 2012.
In a radio interview over dzRB Radyo ng Bayan, Deputy Presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) has already beef up security in Metro Manila to ensure peace and security amid protest actions by Muslims against a controversial film.
“We spoke with General Espina of the NCRPO yesterday and security has been augmented kahapon pa. So, bago pa lumabas ‘yung balitang ‘yan nag-augment na ng security ang NCRPO particularly to the US facility along Roxas Boulevard,” Valte said. “As a matter of precaution we have already augmented security.”
Since Espina’s assumption as the NCRPO chief, the public could notice increased police visibility in the metropolis, Valte said adding the Philippine National Police is also implementing a new system of areas of responsibility.
The PNP now strictly carries out eight-hour shifts for police personnel and require them to observe a two-minute response time when the public calls for police assistance, the Palace official said.
Asked by reporters about the government’s plan to protect the public from the continuing protests, Valte said they haven’t seen mass actions becoming violent.
“Let’s be fair. So far the protests have been very peaceful and have been very orderly,” she said.